My interests in writing, editing, marketing, and the rapidly changing publishing industry have led me to seek a job in the publishing field. To date, I have been intimately involved in many aspects of writing, editing, and marketing in the publishing industry, including proofreading and research, copyediting, translation, marketing, and promotion. I have taken rigorous writing, editing, marketing, and literature courses and further developed my skills through my Masters degree in Publishing and Writing at Emerson College. My previous work experience and internships have provided me with an in-depth knowledge of the workings of publishing houses and literary marketplaces.
• Copyediting, proofreading, fact checking and research, and public relations abilities evidenced by in-depth editorial internships; focusing on various publications from scholarly journals and academic works, to translated literary fiction. Familiarity with the daily activities associated with the running of a press, including but not limited to corresponding with authors and editors, and extensive data entry.
• Skills and knowledge gained from publishing and media courses including: Introduction to Literary Publishing, Reporting and Writing the News, Advanced Feature Writing, and Journalism Case Studies.
• A strong background in literature gained from an extensive array of courses including: Classical and Scriptural Backgrounds of English, British Literature, Irish Literature, Russian Literature, Victorian Literature, Renaissance Literature, Shakespeare, Jane Austen, and The Brontës.
• Capacities revealed through academic as well as internship projects associated with the planning and promotion of literary events, public relations, assisting in numerous aspects of publication from translation, copyediting and proofreading, to marketing and promotion.
• Able to read French and Spanish
UNIVERSITY OF ROCHESTER ROCHESTER, NY
Bachelor of Arts In English Literature September 2009 – May 2013
Minors: Journalism and Anthropology. Concentration in Brain and Cognitive Sciences.
New York Lottery Leaders of Tomorrow Scholarship. Frederick Douglass and Susan B. Anthony Scholarship for Leadership and Dedication to Community Action and Addressing Difficult Social Issues. Studied abroad in England during the Spring of 2012 and attended Oxford University, University College, through the program Advanced Studies in England
EMERSON COLLEGE BOSTON, MA
Masters in Publishing and Writing May 2015
A two year intensive degree designed to capture and teach the latest innovations and changes in the rapidly developing publishing industry. The degree provides a firm basis to book, magazine, and electronic publishing and encourages students to further design and specialize in the field and department of their choice, from design and production, to editorial, marketing, publicity, and rights and contracts.
January 2014 – September 2014 Boston, Massachusetts
Beacon Press is an independent publisher of serious fiction and non-fiction. As the editorial intern I reviewed proposals and queries, performed various research duties, wrote reader’s guides, and attended editorial and marketing meetings.
June 2012 – December 2012. Rochester, New York
Open Letter is a non-profit literary publishing house dedicated to promoting and publishing translated literature. As an intern I translated and reviewed submissions, assisted in copyediting, marketing, proofreading, and reviewing books for Open Letter’s literary blog, The Three Percent Problem.
January 2012 – May 2012. Bath, United Kingdom
The Jane Austen Centre in Bath, England is a literary museum dedicated to Jane Austen. As an intern I participated in various public relation activities, specifically social media, researched and created informational materials for historical artifacts, worked with film crews, photographers, and assisted with the planning of large literary events.
May 2011 – August 2011. Rochester, New York
The University of Rochester Press is a celebrated press that publishes a variety of academic works in fields as varied as music to neuroscience. As an intern I corresponded with authors, editors, and reviewers, assisted in copyediting, writing jacket copy, and daily office duties which included extensive data entry and maintaining spreadsheets and databases.
May 2010 – August 2010. Rochester, New York
Afterimage: The Journal of Media Arts and Cultural Criticism is a scholarly journal known for its long history of prominence and dedication to the media arts. As an intern I assisted in indexing, copyediting, proofreading, fact checking, and research.